Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 18:12:32 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> As I said many times on the notes of 1933, the line width detection
>>> was put in solely to avoid the black bars we used to get in our
>>> documentation: it had no other purpose.  Given that nobody compiles
>>> the final documents on windows, the fact that it fails is of no
>>> relevance whatever.
>>
>> Except for Windows users of lilypond-book.
>
> Did you read what I wrote?  It's _only_ relevant for compiling the
> LilyPond docs: lilypond-book users do not need automatic line-width
> detection.

Why wouldn't they?  The black bars are produced by Texinfo in draft mode
for overfull lines.  But just because other setups do not produce black
boxes for overfull lines by default does not mean that a mismatch of
score systems and text linewidth is desirable.

Nor is a difference in output on Windows and other systems desirable.
It makes stuff irreproducible.

--
David Kastrup