Re: cleanly dealing with variables and reducing code duplication in mult

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: cleanly dealing with variables and reducing code duplication in multimovement works
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 08:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

Shevek wrote
> I'm working on a multi-movement piece, so far using a separate file for
> the score of each movement. I'm trying to add a file to the project that
> compiles all the movements and frontmatter into a single pdf, using
> bookparts, and I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to do that.

I recently faced this as well, but ended up using the equivalent of prefixes
on the variables, which made sense for my use case.  You can see what I came
up with here:

http://clairnote.org/sheet-music/#180-fiddle-tunes
(There's a standard notation version of the ly files linked from there as
well.)

In order to make it easy to produce versions in different clefs and for
transposed instruments I wrote a music function that produced the score for
each tune, passing it four arguments: title, composer, melody, and chords.
The melodies and chords were stored in variables in include files, one file
for each tune (with a score block commented out for editing individual
tunes).  The layout is arranged using bookparts (one per page), calling the
score-generating function for each tune from within the bookparts.

It sounds like Urs or Jan-Peter's approaches may be more what you're after
in terms of variable names though.

Cheers,
-Paul