Re: chordname questions

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: chordname questions
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:40:19 -0700

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Gerry Prosser <address@hidden> wrote:

2. Having looked further, I do think that some chords are generating incorrect chord names (but correct notes): C:sus prints as C, C:2 as Csus2, C:3 as C and C:4 as C4sus4add3

Could I ask you to please run the attached snippet to check my findings ?
(I am running 2.19.3)

thanks, Gerry

Yes, I get the same printed chord names you describe.

I'm not sure I would call any of them "incorrect" given your input chord specification:

duffChords = \chordmode { c1:sus c:2 c:3 c:4 }

I think that the number generally means the highest interval, so when you say c:2 and c:3, you are just specifying an interval (2 notes) rather than a full chord.  Lily's open fifth for c:sus seems reasonable to me.  Not sure what you'd expect from c:4. <c e f> ?  Lily's output seems redundant (why 4...and then sus4?), but otherwise seems to be trying to make the best of something uncommon and possibly confusing.

If you want to get a printed "sus4" from lily, try:

duffChords = \chordmode { c1:sus4 }

If you want to change the output chord symbols, here is the short version:

Get a template for a file where you name the chords.  You can try my fussy one (http://flaminghakama.com/flaming-lilypond-chords), or use another alternate file (see  http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Jazz-Chord-Symbols-td10516.html for example)

Then in your music file:

\include "flaming-chords.ly" % (or some other library)
\set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions

Finally, to update what the names of the chords are, modify the chord file as you like:

flamingChordNames = {

% for the input notation "c:sus4".  Change the "sus" to something else if you want
<c f g>1-\markup { \raise #0.7 { \normalsize "sus" } }

}
chExceptions = #(append (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions
flamingChordNames #t) ignatzekExceptions)