Re: Using custom fonts and unicodes

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Re: Using custom fonts and unicodes
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:30:08 -0700

Joey Di Nardo <address@hidden> wrote:

I am currently trying to access custom unicode characters via:

\markup{\override #'(font-name . "Blissymbolics") \char ##x1234}

Where 1234 is the unicode hexadecimal code, however this is giving me incorrect, foreign characters, which leads me to believe that the font I'm trying to access isn't visible to lilypond.

Is this correct? And how do I fix it so that I can access any individual character from any individual font I'd like.

I would like to be very specific for a moment, because your terminology threw me off for a bit.

0x1234 is not a "custom Unicode character".  U+1234 is the Ethiopian pictograph syllable "SEE", which looks like this:
 Ethiopic syllable see
The Unicode glyph U+1234 always has the same meaning, everywhere, in every font.  There is a range of Unicode that is reserved for private use (U+E000 to U+F8FF), which can be used for private characters.

Now, it's quite possible that your font uses an encoding that is not Unicode, in which glyph number 0x1234 has a different meaning.  In that case, the 0x1234 is NOT a Unicode codepoint.  It's just a character number.  TrueType does allow for non-Unicode encodings, although many programs can't deal with them.  I don't know how LilyPond handles them.
--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.