Re: Lilypond-book

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Lilypond-book
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:20:21 -0400

On 2014-03-23 9:49 PM, Conor Cook wrote:
I suppose I no longer need to try using the command line method, but
I did want to mention that my efforts to follow the LilyPond right
hand column instructions have proved fruitless.  I follow the
instructions up to chmod, but it gives me:

-bash: chmod: command not found

Maybe I just shouldn’t worry about it.

Huh.  I've never seen that behavior before.  The only thing I can think
of is perhaps chmod is a developer tool.  In which case you would need
to get Xcode (it's free in the App Store) and install the command line
tools (in the Downloads pane of the Preferences).  If you want to worry
about it, that is.

I am curious, however, whether using LilyPond-Book in TeXworks is all
I would need to do to create a paper with music examples, or should I
figure out how to incorporate multiple files into one main LaTeX
document, using LilyPond-Book only for examples (like in Gregorio; I
think I recognize you from those discussions, Brother)?

With LilyPond-Book it's possible to include as many scores as you want
in a single document.  There are three ways of doing so, each geared
towards a particular size score (short snippet, long snippet, or full
length score).  Those ways are explained here

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/latex

Use whatever way best suits the particular score you're inserting at a
given point.  There is no restriction on mixing and matching.

Since you mention Gregorio, yes, I'm over on that list too, and again
there is no restriction on the number of included scores in a LaTeX
document.  Further, mixing LilyPond and Gregorio should be possible
using my engines in the Gregorio svn.  I haven't fully tested them in
TeXworks yet (it's on my list of things to do later this week) but my
preliminary tests were successful. If you try them and find a bug let me know. It will speed up my testing.

Br. Samuel
(R. Padraic Springuel)

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ