Re: Slurs between two pianos

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Slurs between two pianos
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:13:50 +0100

Am 21.03.2014 11:06, schrieb Thomas Morley:
Hi all,

I'm at a loss with the problem shown in the attachments.

I intend to engrave a piece with two pianos (actually a piano and a
synthesizer), where there are _many_ things going on between the two pianos.
The first is having grace notes or acciaccaturas in the "other" piano.

Writing it straightforwardly gives the attached image. When moving the slur
engraver to the Score context (which is what I was suggested to do) there
_is_ a difference (uncomment the \layougt definitions) but the result isn't
really better.

Of course I could start to tweak the slurs, but I don't think that is a good
idea at all.

Is there any way to make such cross-staff slurs behave better?

Urs

Hi Urs,

you could experiment with the following commands

\once \override Slur #'details #'edge-attraction-factor = #100000
\once \override Slur #'details #'max-slope = #800
\once \override Slur #'minimum-length = #6

Though, further tweaking maybe necessary.

Hi Harm,

thanks, this is already a great improvement (see attachment (additionally with flipped #'direction). Now I see at least where to start tweaking. I just hope that I can find a way to make that manageable. When I'd have to tweak all these properties individually for each instance of the issue it'd be pathetic. Not even considering how robust that would be towards layout changes ...

Best
Urs

Cheers,
   Harm