short Musikmesse minutes

From: Klaus Föhl
Subject: short Musikmesse minutes
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:27:12 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

This year a short visit to the Musikmesse only.
Learning about the "BEST EDITION 2014" award only after the event
(and would have had to miss that one anyway).
Congratulations nevertheless to Urs and Janek and all else involved.

Missing out on the MusicXML meeting as well,
but I noted it was taking place.

As I am in the process of digging out some choir music, published about
two centuries ago and hence not readily available at your music seller,
I had been encouraged to approach some music sheet companies whether
they might be interested. Here we go (translation):
- Have you typeset in Finale or Sibelius?
- No, in Lilypond actually
- Oh, we can't use it, it is too computer-heavy [computerlastig],
we need to be able to push the note heads around.

Well, they might have a point when thinking ink on paper. But (BUT)
tablets on music stands were ubiquitous at Musikmesse, possibly with
food pedals for page turning, and that is calling big time for systems
that allow variable display sizes and hence music reflow.

At Klemm music, new music scan software SmartScore. No time to test it,
but for choir music full version required. Seems to be a full typesetting
program as well. Data exchange with Finale easily done, using MusicXML
which the guy says is the well established standard interchange format.

Did not spot a stand for Sibelius. I looked but did not hunt for it.

On the sheet music side the usual suspects, the big houses, some stands
representing music from eastern European countries, but smaller houses
that were present one or two years ago no longer present.

Regards

Klaus