Re: How do I expand lyrics...

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How do I expand lyrics...
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 22:45:42 +0100

Am 18.03.2014 20:17, schrieb Kevin Tough:
Hey Thanks,

when I first read the manual I thought Lilypond's symbol to spread or
center a lyric between two note values was the double underscore. No
matter how I placed or spaced it this naturally didn't work. Now I see
from playing with your example that the slur does do the job in this
case. In the case of a slur or melisma I take it that the lyric starts
at the first note value. Is there any other simple way to center a lyric
between two note values?
There are two other methods:
f4 f f f  | f  e  e  e |e  d  d  e | d2\melisma g2\melismaEnd | \break
and
Oh, what fun it | is to ride in_a | one horse o -- pen | sleigh. __ _ |
(the single underscore is like an empty syllable to a note)
By the way, in all of these methods the lyrics syllable is not centered on the entire melisma, but instead left-aligned on the first note of the melisma (as opposed to centering the syllables on the notes if there isn’t a melisma).

Best regards and happy christmas preparation,
Simon