Horizontal note spacing

From: Benjamin Fluehr
Subject: Horizontal note spacing
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 07:34:19 -0500

I am re-engraving music based on the attached image. Notice that the original editor tightened the horizontal spacing between the notes on the syllables "De-" and "Pa-." This was done to mimic the Gregorian chant neumes on which the music is based.

Could someone recommend how to achieve this in Lilypond? The best I have come up with is:

normalSpacing = { \override NoteColumn.X-extent = #'(1 . 6) }
tightSpacing = { \revert NoteColumn.X-extent }

This approach has a number of downsides (can't start or stop in the middle of a slur; can't squeeze multiple notes underneath a lyric syllable).

Thanks!