Re: Feedback for starting a crowd funding campaign

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Feedback for starting a crowd funding campaign
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:29:04 +0100

> If we reach the goal we will update the source repository to a usable state
> and remove the references to the publisher.

Why remove them?  After all, it _was_ published by Sound-rel.

> _And_ we'll significantly reduce
> the retail prices for the printed books.
>
> If we overfund it (up to a certain amount) we'll distribute the money
> between the three collaborators because the fees we have charged so far for
> our work are actually ridiculous.
>
> If that target should be overachieved we'll donate back a major part of the
> surplus to LilyPond development, by sharing parts with David Kastrup and by
> sponsoring bug fixes or feature requests.
>
> (Details of all this have to be decided yet)
>
> ###
> Currently I think about offering the following perks, more ideas (or
> comments to my suggestions) welcome:
>
>   1€ - hug (no further action))
>   5€ - appreciation
>        Name will be kept in the source distribution
>       (but nothing really visible)
>       (will be included in any of the following perks)
>  10€ - serious appreciation
>        Same as above but additionally visual place on our website
>       (as long as that might exist)

That's too much diversity.  I'd have just one perk without being
listed and one perk with being listed (in the sources _and_ future
prints).

>  15€ - PDF/source package
>        snapshot of the current state of the source directory,
>        including PDFs of the individual scores.
>        As long as we haven't reached the goal this will be a private
>        copy, without license to redistribute, and without any
>        cleaning up.

I'd price this at 20 eur - it's still cheaper than buying the book in
retail.  Or maybe have two separate perks: just pdf and pdf+source.

>  15€ - Custom transposition
>        (to be delivered as PDF or nicely printed)

way too cheap imo.  Unless we really don't want to make _any_
adjustments after transposing, not even the most ugly problems.
The printed version should perhaps be a separate perk imo.
I assume this is for 1 song?
We could have a "bundled" perk with multople transpositions.

>  35/50€ - Printed book plus ZIP
>        It's actually like buying the book regularly,
>        plus the ZIP package (and the "appreciation")

I'd suggest one more perk that gives multiple copies maybe?

> 100€ - Big Appreciation
>        Add a special thanks section in the edition.
>        Name will be in the source distribution and will
>        appear in any further printed release
> 150€ - Interview on Scores of Beauty
>       (limited to 5)
> ???€ - Bug/Feature (limited to 3-5)
>        Sponsor one bug fix or feature implementation
>        (in LilyPond, LilyPond libraries or LaTeX)
>        Top up the same amount to the project campaign
>       (See below for suggestions)
>  ??€ - Merchandise articles
>        with picture (our logo?) and text, something like
>        "I helped freeing Fried" ;-) or
>        "I support Free Culture"
>        Ideas: Coffee mug, mouse pad, puzzle
>
> ###
> Bug/feature perks
> These should be an explicit part of the campaign, so they have to be defined
> in advance.
> If you have an idea, or even can implementing something for money, please
> tell me.
>
> Ideas:
> - Implement a meaningful document statistic with Frescobaldi's library
>   (I might be able to do that)
> - make \shape and \shapeII aware of wrong number of siblings (again).
>   -> point to problems when changed line breaking
>      messes up manually shaped slurs
> - make lilyglyphs available to plain latex
>   (instead of only xe- and lua-)
>   (Karl Hammar has volunteered)
> - Add a certain number/range of commands to lilyglyphs
>   (can give several options as a choice)
>   (I can do that)
> - Add new layout control modes to Frescobaldi
> - Incorporate Frescobaldi's ly-module/tool in LilyPond's repository
>   -> make a new command line tool available
>   -> enable LilyPond code with syntax highlighting on lilypond.org
>
> ###
> Features that might be sponsored later (if we should raise enough money).
> These don't have to be specified as explicitly as the perks, but I would
> like to give at least a few examples of what we have in mind with that.
> Further suggestions welcome, but I think they have to be focused on our
> interest of scholarly editing.

I still think that most of these shouldn't be listed as explicit perks
(because we'd have waaay to many perks then) but as something to be
agreed upon individually.

best,
Janek :-)