Re: storing and manipulating multi-chunk texts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: storing and manipulating multi-chunk texts
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:21:55 -0500

Hi David (et al.),

This is both amazingly embarassing and incredibly encouraging…

When I wrote

>> I’d rather do something like
>>    title = #'(Two Ukrainian Courting Tunes:" "A Minuet & Scherzo”)
>> and then be able to say
>>    \markup \one-line \title
>>    \markup \multi-line \title

the first line was intended to be pseudo-code (even ignoring, for the moment,
the actual unintended non-pseudo-mistake of excluding the opening quotes).

Firstly, I didn’t think my list-or-pair-or-whatever was legal code in any
language, never mind Lily-friendly Scheme. Secondly, I had no idea that
functions I use every day in Lily code — e.g., \line and \center-column — could
be applied to a Scheme list-or-pair-or-whatever. Thirdly, I certainly had no
idea that they would do *EXACTLY* what I was asking for.  =)

1. Thank you David for your helpful answer. I guess it really *was* a
“softball”, and I didn’t know it!
2. Lilypond continues to amaze and impress me.

Now the next wrinkle… It doesn’t work “out of the box” as I had hoped:

\version "2.19"
\language "english"

\paper {
  bookTitleMarkup = \markup \fill-line \abs-fontsize #24 \override
#'(baseline-skip . 2.25) \center-column \fromproperty #'header:title
  oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \abs-fontsize #12 \line \fromproperty #'header:title
}

\header {
  title = #'("Part one" "Part two")
}