Re: Lyrics in divided voices

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Lyrics in divided voices
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 15:27:41 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hlolli" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:50 PM
Subject: Lyrics in divided voices

Hi, Im writing for a choir and Im diving the basses.

<<
 {as8^"div a 2" f f f( e4)} \\
 {f8 c c c( c4)}

In the score the notes are just the way I want them to be. But I cant assign
lyrics to them. But still when I do this:

<<
 {as8^"div a 2" f f f( e4)} %\\ remove the "\\" sign
 {f8 c c c( c4)}

The lyrics work. But the noteheads are connected, I think it's better for
singers to read divided noteheads rather than combined. Can someone suggest
me a solution to this?

It's because the \\ automatically creates new voice contexts, so the lyrics no longer have a voice associated with them. This is explained in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices - see "Temporary polyphonic passages". You may be able to fix your problem after reading that. If not, please accompany your question with a tiny example, so we can work out how best to help in your context. http://lilypond.org/website/tiny-examples.html

--
Phil Holmes