Re:Lilypond for blind musicians

From: Marc Sabatella
Subject: Re:Lilypond for blind musicians
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:00:17 -0700

I had a blind student in one of my classes a few years ago and we considered using LilyPond as a way of exchanging music for class work and of allowing her to produce music in standard notation to share with other musicians as necessary (she's a jazz vocalist, and often needs to do that sort of thing). After a bit of research, we ended up opting for ABC rather LilyPond, however. ABC was designed to be human-readable-and-writable first, and indeed it is used in place of standard notation in some circles. But it was designed by a computer software guy so it also works as an input format for typesetting or MIDI playback software. It's less verbose than LilyPond and in my judgement easier to get up and running with. There are a number of programs out there that can render a score in standard notation from an ABC input file, but the state of the art - abcm2ps - is really quite excellent. And a couple of the GUI programs for working with ABC are at least somewhat blind-accessible, although they are not ideal as they were not designed that way.

Here is a page with a writeup on using ABC in this fashion (and other information on music notation for blind musicians):

http://accessiblemusicnotation.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/abc-for-blind-musicians/

ABC worked pretty well for us. LilyPond would have worked just as well I'm sure; I just thought ABC would be easier for my student to learn. If you've already invested some effort in learning LilyPond and feel comfortable with it, that's great - it shouldn't be that hard to figure out a way to get this running with or without a GUI.

Marc Sabatella