Re: Ligatures in music font

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: Ligatures in music font
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 13:37:08 -0800

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to use ligatures in music fonts? I haven’t seen a
> use-case for Feta glyphs. But if the font defines ligatures, can I
> somehow get them?
>
> I am asking in the context of the Bravura font and the smufl package in
> the snippets repository. [...]

Thing is, LilyPond doesn't think Bravura is a music font. It's just
another text font as far as Lily cares, and any ligature problems you
speak of are those that apply to text fonts.

Even if joined by \concat, it seems that \char (which is used
internally by \smuflglyph and \smuflchar) won't form ligatures. So we
can construct the string directly from Scheme:

\markup {
  \fontsize #5
  \override #`(font-name . ,smufl-font)
    #(markup (string-append
               (ly:wide-char->utf-8 (cdr (assoc
"gClefLigatedNumberBelow" smufl-map)))
               (ly:wide-char->utf-8 (cdr (assoc "tuplet5" smufl-map)))))
}

Regards,
Nathan