Re: Custom caesura command

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Custom caesura command
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 23:54:50 -0700

On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 07:23:22AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 09:17:53PM -0800, Matthew wrote:
> >> Not wanting to type a long \override command in every staff I want a
> >> caesura, I
> >> tried defining a command to shorten things for me :) . This is what I've
> >> tried
> >> so far:
> >>
> >> caesura = {
> >>   \override BreathingSign.text = \markup { \musicglyph
> >> #"scripts.caesura.straight" }
> >>   \breathe
> >>   \override BreathingSign.text = \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.rcomma" }
> >> }
> >>
> > Here's what I use:
> >
> > caesuraOn = \override BreathingSign #'text =
> > #(make-musicglyph-markup "scripts.caesura.straight")
> >
> > caesuraOff = \revert BreathingSign #'text
> > caesura = { \once \caesuraOn \revert BreathingSign #'Y-offset \breathe }
> > breath  = { \caesuraOff \override BreathingSign #'Y-offset = #5 \breathe }
> >
> > I then use \caesura or \breath where I need them.
>
> That's rather awful code.  \override/\revert are not really working all
> too well for single canned commands like that.
>
> I'd rather use something like
>
> caesura =
> \tweak #'text #(make-musicglyph-markup "scripts.caesura.straight")
> \tweak #'Y-offset #0 \breathe
>
> { c'\caesura d' e' f' }

I believe I wrote that before \tweak existed.

I have no problem with improving/updating my code and:

1.  Caesuras are not normally attached to notes.  There are
usually overlapping the top line of the staff.

2.  Breath marks are usually above the staff.  You didn't
provide code which duplicates what my \breath does.

With my code I do:

{ c' \caesura d' \breath e' }

and get C followed by a normal caesura and D followed by a breath mark
which is higher than the default breath mark and closer to where I am
used to seeing breath marks.

I would be happy to have more up-to-date code which does what I want
which is what see often in printed music and didn't exist in Lily before
I pushed for it's implementation.

Thank you for everything you do for LilyPond,

Paul