Re: Behaviour of TextSpanner dashes

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Behaviour of TextSpanner dashes
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:26:48 +0100

Am 05.02.2014 15:20, schrieb David Nalesnik:
Hi Urs,

     >- is it possible to make a TextSpanner always to align
     >   to the right edge of the score (i.e. the barline)
     >   and let the dash structure adapt to that?
     >   (I see the 'right-bound-info' property but didn't
     >    find any helpful information on that alist)

This was one of my pet peeves with Finale--having to endlessly adjust
dashed lines so they weren't ended by a dot (usually discovered on the
printout...)

I can't see any reason why LilyPond couldn't be enhanced to ensure that
this doesn't happen.

Yes, I think that the overall extent of the spanner should (optionally) be favored against the literal dash structure.

Actually LilyPond wouldn't (AFAICS) end the spanner with a dot, but rather with a gap (which isn't nice either).

In fact, there's a markup command \draw-dashed-line which guards against
these clipped edges.

You mean I should replace the TextSpanner by a custom \markup command?

Urs