Re: Jagged hairpins

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Jagged hairpins
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:13:43 +0100

SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> writes:

> Good morning,
>
> I need some help understanding how LilyPond treats hairpins in regards to
> printing and / or rendering on-screen. I realize this is not a scientific
> approach for testing but I didn't know how else to demonstrate my question.
> In a nutshell, I'm seeing that my LilyPond-engraved PDFs and paper scores
> are having quite a few rather jagged hairpins. I can't figure out why.
> Nothing has changed. I have a high quality laser BW printer

What does that mean?  Resolution?  How do you convert your PDF to
whatever the printer accepts?

> My PDFs are jagged as well so that's what made me believe it's not my
> printer that's the issue.

Depends.  For 2.19, you might want to try the effect of the
-dstrokeadjust option.  That might reduce the total amount of line
thickness variation.

> The "stepped" look of the hairpins are even more jagged-looking on the
> actual paper itself over the PDF, but it's still there.

That very much appears like you are not properly converting your PDF for
use with the "high quality" printer.

> Please see attached images and if someone could please let me know if I'm
> doing something wrong - or if there is a way to soften the hairpins - that
> would be awesome! :)
>
> finale_14_line.png
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n158826/finale_14_line.png>
>
> LilyPond_PDF_line_-_jagged.png
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n158826/LilyPond_PDF_line_-_jagged.png>
>

> LilyPond_-_during_input.png
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n158826/LilyPond_-_during_input.png>

The first thing you are doing wrong is not describing at all what the
images are supposed to be from.  "LilyPond_-_during_input"?  Seriously?
My LilyPond files look like "c16 d e d r4" during input.

--
David Kastrup