Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:38:08 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> If for a font "ff" leads to collisions, and the ligature is not
>>> correct at that point, is it recommended to insert space or to
>>> switch the font?
>>
>> Yes, at least for German.
>
> Uh, I mean you should insert space.  Virtually no font resolves this
> `properly' today, I reckon.

You are confused about the problem that is being discussed.  What _you_
are talking about is not how to deal with a defective "ff" ligature, but
rather about the typographic reasons to distinguish betweem a _working_
"ff" ligature and two separate "ff" letters when typesetting German
prose.

--
David Kastrup