Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition" - found something t

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition" - found something to play with!
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:48:05 +1100

People,

On 2014-01-16 17:39, Philip Rhoades wrote:
People,

On 2014-01-15 23:32, Philip Rhoades wrote:
People,

David Kastrup kindly wrote a little Scheme script for me to generate
random notes within a range and I have started using that to practise
learning Classical Guitar and I think it is quite useful for learning
to jump around the fretboard well.  It occurred to me that the next
step would be to generate something that is a little more melodic or
musical but still unpredictable so I started looking for stuff and
found this:

  http://www.scripthica.com/

which is supposed to have an eBook available that allows stuff to be
written in Java Script or Scheme.  Has anyone here done anything in
this area? Is there any simple or otherwise stuff I could look at?

Separate from my arm twisting of Paul Morris to get something started
in Scheme / Lilypond, I found this very nice stuff:

  http://alch.16mb.com/qgen2

and with a bit of bug fixing managed to get it going on my server -
see here for a couple of test results (warning the web pages a very
big and take a few seconds to display and some of the buttons don't
work):

  http://pricom.com.au/qgen2/2014-01-16-t1/t1.html
  http://pricom.com.au/qgen2/2014-01-16-t2/t2.html

The output MIDIs are very nice and pleasant!

Sorry, I should have attached them for people who are not interested in looking at the web pages - attached now.

Phil.

I used midi2ly to convert the files but predictably . . the Lilypond
processing didn't go well . .

Anyway, I have asked the authors if they interested in replicating
this web-based / PHP setup in Scheme . . I'n not hopeful but we'll see
what they say . .

Regards,

Phil.

--