RE: grace notes and ledger lines

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: RE: grace notes and ledger lines
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:04:08 -0800

Gilberto Agostinho wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. That would certainly solve the ugly issue, but
> unfortunately "an octave under" markings are not standard for neither the
> Clarinet nor the Bass Clarinet, which are the instruments I am writing for
> now.

They are not common, but they are certainly not prohibited.  In many
marches, for example, which are commonly crammed onto half-sheets of
paper, ottava markings are used to eliminate ledger lines.  It is
uncommon to see 8vb in clarinet music, because we have a hard lower
limit of about 3 ledger lines (whereas our upper limit is ridiculously
high), but I'm sure the notation would be understood.

In orchestral music, one does sometimes find bass clarinet music notated
in bass clef instead of using 8vb.  Oddly enough, when written in bass
clef, the notes are written an octave lower.  So, middle C in the treble
clef, which sounds the Bb a ninth below that on a bass clarinet, is
notated as second space C in bass clef, sounding a whole tone lower.

--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.