Re: page margins

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: page margins
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:05:02 -0500

Hi Janek (et al.),

> I agree with left/right margins, but not top/bottom.  Top/bottom are
> more tricky because you *want* to allow the page to compress when
> there's really a lot of content; so the adjustment should be done
> using compressible top-markup-spacing and the like.

Agreed.

> I suggest the following way forward: let's discuss horizontal margins
> separately from vertical ones.  It should be a no-brainer to increase
> horizontal margins at least to 12 mm (although 15 seems indeed quite
> ok for me).  Depending on how long it would take Kieren to get to this
> (2 weeks or 2 months?)

Could be the latter…  =\

Let’s put it this way: a quick survey of various scores from "the good houses”
(Barenreiter, Henle, Peters, etc.) reveal a minimum [!!] side-margin-to-width
ratio of 16mm:225mm = ~0.071, or 15.3mm proportionally on a U.S. letter page.
So I think 15mm would be a fine place to start.

Cheers,
Kieren.