Re: Version control tools

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Version control tools
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:13:08 +0100

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 08/01/14 19:40, Yann wrote:
>> With hg, each clone of a repository IS a complete repository itself. So your
>> "working copy" is a repository itself (the main folder just contains a hidden
>> .hg folder with all the history data). I feel this is an advantage over svn
>> when
>> working locally, as your data and the history are at the same place.
>
> Exactly, as with git (which Lilypond uses) and bzr (a very nice tool
> as well, but now sadly somewhat neglected).
>
> If reddit is to be believed, it looks like hg has picked up a bunch of
> recent interest and investment from Facebook in order to optimize
> things like single-file diffs (which in git are no less expensive than
> whole-repo diffs).

Actually, that seems like a mischaracterization to me.  It's the single
file logs which aren't cheaper than the multi-file logs.

At the current point of time, due to a discussion about version control
on the Emacs developer list, I am working on git blame which is
ridiculously slow.  For the file src/xdisp.c, it takes about 2 minutes
on my computer.  I've cut it down by some 20 or 30% on the first
attempt, but with my current approach, I should eventually get it down
to few seconds at most.  At the current point of time, it segfaults
almost instantaneously.  One out of two ain't bad...

Ridiculous that this code has not been sensibly improved over the last
10 years or so...

--
David Kastrup