Re: new and context

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: new and context
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:59:14 +0100

hi,

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

when looking at this snippet: http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=292
I have the following question:

Why is \context Staff allowed here? How can I fill bass figures in a Staff?

I thought I need a \new FiguredBass context for the \continuo. This
works indeed (%2) but I loose the ability to change the alignment direction.

Is that a general thing (for Lyrics, ChordNames)?
What is the recommended layout? \new FiguredBass or \context Staff?

 looking at:  http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/figured-bass#displaying-figured-bass

<<<
Figured bass can be displayed using the FiguredBass context, or in most staff contexts.

When displayed in a FiguredBass context, the vertical location of the figures is independent of the notes on the staff.

using \context Staff = bassStaff assigns the figured bass defined in \continuo to the Staff named "bassStaff". In the second snippet, the FiguredBass is created as a distinct context. And will be printed under the bassStaff. If you were to swap the definitions, the figured bass would be printed above the bassStaff.

HTH, regards,
sb