Re: Frescobaldi 2.0.13

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi 2.0.13
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 13:05:21 +0100

2014/1/2 Tim McNamara <address@hidden>:
> The MacPorts installation includes Cairo +quartz +x11, the +quartz of which
> is incompatible with Pango.  Apparently the +quartz backend for Cairo is
> broken.  Pango is a dependency for xpn, which I would like to install, but
> Pango refuses to install with Cairo +quartz.  Is the +quartz necessary for
> Fresobaldi?  Or can I clean the Cairo port and install it with just+x11?

On my machine, Frescobaldi works perfectly with Cairo +x11 -quartz
(the default variants).
Apparently I had already Cairo installed with the default variants
when I wrote the Portfile, so I didn't notice that installing Poppler
+qt4 +quartz would have requested the quartz variant also on Cairo
(MacPorts propagates variants to dependencies that are not currently
installed, but cannot currently enforce variants on already installed
dependencies).

An undesirable effect of this oversight is that not only Poppler, but
also Cairo will be built on the user's machine (MacPorts provides
prebuilt packages only for the default variants).

Luckily, Cairo is the only port with a quartz variant among the
dependencies of Poppler.

The solution to your problem is to uninstall cairo and reinstall it
with only the x11 variants:
sudo port -f uninstall cairo   # you may need to specify the version
you want to uninstall
sudo port install cairo   # if you don't specify any variants, the
default ones will be used

This will survive upgrades.

A temporary solution for new users would be to first install Cairo,
then install Poppler +qt4 +quartz and then install Frescobaldi.
I'll upgrade the installation instructions as soon as possible.

There is a proposed change to Poppler's Portfile that would remove the
extra step of manually installing Poppler before Frescobaldi, and
would incidentally solve also the variants-on-dependencies problem and
remove the need to build Poppler on the user's machine.
I hope that this will be solved soon.

Best wishes.
Davide