Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 21:08:06 +0000 (UTC)

Federico Bruni <fedelogy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 4. Web interface
> Currently the contributions are handled via github or by email.
> Github is a good way but it's for geeks only. There are currently only
seven contributors:

> https://github.com/chrissawer/The-Mutopia-Project/graphs/contributors

The github is not mentioned on the mutopiaproject contributions page.
Pointing to that page might reassure contributors that the project is
alive and well.  I contribute via email.

When I am learning a public-domain piece of music I look for a source
on MutopiaProject.  Published music often has impossible page-breaks,
and revising a LilyPond source is more rewarding than cutting up the
paper score.

Updating old scores is usually a matter of convert-ly followed by
removal of typically very many \overrides that are no longer needed.
I wish there was a side-by-side diff for this one:
https://github.com/chrissawer/The-Mutopia-Project/
commit/81a588f5d16a3bcb4110bd1e8197dbdc5a08137e

Just say 'no' to Scheme.
I put just one scheme function, copied from the manual, into a
mutopiaproject contribution, and that caused problems almost immediately.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-11/msg00201.html