why you don't contribute to Mutopia

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: why you don't contribute to Mutopia
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 19:01:03 +0100

Dear Lilyponders

some recent posts in this list made me think about the weaknesses of Mutopia and why people who may contribute to it are not doing so.
I'd like to have some feedback from you. Which change in the Mutopia interface/decisions would make you start contributing or contributing more?

I can see these big problems:

1. Money
Recently an user said that he doesn't host his lilypond scores (CC licensed) on Mutopia, because he can't get any money from it; while he can get some money from the advertisements on his website.

I don't like advertisements and I'd like to keep them away from Mutopia project. But I believe that other strategies are possible. For example, donations via micropayments:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropayment#Recent_micropayment_systems

Or crowdfunding for big projects, etc.

2. Licenses
Currently Mutopia accepts only transcriptions licensed as public domain, CC By, CC By-Sa:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/legal.html

I don't know what led to this decision, but I can imagine that at least CC By-Sa-Nc would be preferred by some.

3. Requisites for the lilypond files
Some people are discouraged by the criteria to get the files accepted. For example, they may create the score with Denemo and then export the lilypond file, but they cannot check the quality of the file.
I'd suggest them to try to submit their file to the mutopia-discuss list and see if someone can clean the input. Personally, I'd be glad to contribute this way.

4. Web interface
Currently the contributions are handled via github or by email.
Github is a good way but it's for geeks only. There are currently only seven contributors:
https://github.com/chrissawer/The-Mutopia-Project/graphs/contributors

The email may be a good alternative, but who is receiving contributions@ emails? Just Chris? I have no idea if people send contributions this way.

A modern web interface may attract more contributions?

X. Other problems/ideas?

Thanks for the feedback.
Federico