Efficient transposition

From: Colin Tennyson
Subject: Efficient transposition
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 15:01:34 -0800 (PST)

I have created my first LilyPond file, using Frescobaldi.
(LilyPond 2.18, Frescobaldi 2.0.12)

It's a madrigal by Verdelot, 4 voices, titled  Dormend'un giorn'a baia

I've  transposed it down a minor third. My question is: is the way I coded
the transposition the most efficient one?

I uploaded the file.
Dormend__a_minor.ly
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n156730/Dormend__a_minor.ly>

As instructed in the LilyPond manuals I separated the content and the
structure. There is a variable 'sopranonotes', a variable 'sopranowords',
etc. and those are inserted in the structure.

Now, of course I want the original and the transposed version both
available, with the file remaining a single file. I don't want to create a
situation where I have two versions, the original and the transposed
version, and having to update both of them if the conductor asks for, say, a
different text placement.

Currently the 4 voices are transposed individually. So if I want do
undo/redo the transposition I have to comment out the transposition in 4
separate places.
Is there a way to use built-in LilyPond functionality so that there is a
_single_ point in the code for setting the transposition?

I tried embracing the entire score part of the source in a
\transpose a fs { ... }
but the parser didn't accept that.