Re: New user frustration, pedal and alternative endings, roman numerals

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: New user frustration, pedal and alternative endings, roman numerals
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 15:52:20 -0800

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Tim Ringenbach
<address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> But, I still wasn't able to get the pedal in the second ending to start out
> open. It always gave me a warning that the \sustainOff didn't have a
> matching \sustainOn for the last measure. It worked in the first ending
> though, which I thought was a little odd since they were both in the
> \alternative tag.

Ah yes, the terrifyin' equation: repeats + spanners = mayhem. When you
use \alternative, the music doesn't actually bifurcate; as far as
LilyPond cares, the second ending comes immediately after the first.
So if you want something to bridge across both endings, you have to
fake it.

Here's the trick for a half-open (backwards-L-shaped) pedal bracket:

\once \override Staff.PianoPedalBracket.edge-height = #'(0.0 . 1.0)

In a complete example:

\version "2.17.97" % should work for any 2.17+

\new Staff \transpose c c' {
  \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
  | c2 c2
  \repeat volta 2 {
    | c2 c2
    | c2 c2\sustainOn
  }
  \alternative {
    { | c2 c2\sustainOff }
    {
      \once \override Staff.PianoPedalBracket.edge-height = #'(0.0 . 1.0)
      | c2\sustainOn c2\sustainOff
  | c2 c2
}

Regards,