Re: Custom note names / octavize pitch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Custom note names / octavize pitch
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:19:46 +0100

TaoCG <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a way to octavize a note with the least input possible. I
> know there are music functions in the LSR that do this but they aren't very
> useful to me because in the music I need this for the octaves usually aren't
> successive and it wouldn't really save input if I had to write the function
> for single pitches, even if the function name were reduced to a single
> letter.
> So I was wondering if this maybe could be achieved with custom note names,
> maybe a capital letter for an additional octave. After a look at
> define-note-names.scm I fear it's not but I thought I ask if a note name
> accepts anything else than ly:make-pitch before I try to experiment on my
> own.

It doesn't.  Note that a note name means something different in chord
mode than it does in note mode and consequently there are different
tokens produced in different modes from note names.  Assigning arbitrary
(and consequently mode-independent) meanings to note names is not
immediately compatible with the way in which this is done currently.
While it looks not all too difficult to change that, it's not currently
supported.

--
David Kastrup