Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:28:41 +0100

On 07/12/13 19:54, Urs Liska wrote:
But once we're going to compete with people from other tools' mailing lists it
will probably become a real (and therefore less informative) competition.

Well, if you couch it in terms along the lines of, "Hey, we're just trying to improve our software here, we all want the best software" and make it a friendly game rather than a "Hey, we're better than you!" exercise, I don't see that it need get too serious (at least in the sense of unfriendly competition). Anyway, there's a limit to how competitive it can get simply by virtue of the fact that Lilypond can be tweaked in response to how it does in such a competition, whereas with Finale, the development team has to take notice :-)

Personally I would approach the Finale community with an invitation that gives the impression that you expect to come out worse in this comparison (because after all, it's about productivity rather than default engraving quality), but that you hope to learn something from the exercise. Then, if it's true, appropriate gratitude can be shown and lessons can be learned -- while if Lilypond comes out ahead (in which case, it should also be approached with humility rather than triumphalism), hopefully a few Finale users will start taking Lilypond more seriously.

The important thing to recognize is that Finale and Sibelius users are not the competition. They're fellow dreamers about excellence in music notation software.