Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 13:52:54 +0100

Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:
>> > Where do I sign up and what do I need to know about the way the
>> > current site works? I cannot write a single line of C++, my Scheme
>> > skills are meager at best (limited mostly to taking existing code and
>> > tweaking parameters), and I've only looked into MetaFont enough to
>> > send a patch to Janek to review to refine the shape note parameters to
>> > deal with unsightly MI and SO noteheads. (speaking of which,
>> > Janek... :) ). But I can do web development.
>>
>> So if you are versed with modern tools for web development, you may
>> easily be frustrated at just how little possibility there is for
>> employing them as you are used to do.
>
> There are modern tools for web development? Seriously, though, except
> when I've been using a package like WordPress, I've pretty much been
> hand coding websites for the last dozen years or so, partly because of
> "popular HTML authoring tools generating oodles of garbage that
> fortunately nobody peruses closely."

Good.  The first stop is the "contributors' guide"
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/index.html>.
That will tend to give you more of a feeling of the writer of the
documentation rather than the meat of the procedures turning their work
into web pages, but it should likely get you more of an idea what you
are dealing with.

--
David Kastrup