Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 09:10:44 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Thursday, December 05, 2013 12:17 AM

> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I believe that the most important thing is just to have a powerful
>> editor installed with LilyPond so that people get the most of LilyPond
>> right away.
>
> For better or worse, I think that the interactive task of
> managing LilyPond versions is better placed with the editors which are
> supposed to interact with the user than the other way round.

I agree strongly with both these points.  Two things are needed:

a) Augment Fresco on installation to prompt and help users to
download and install LilyPond.  I think Urs is considering doing
this.  Maybe do the same with Denemo.  These then become the
primary LP entry points for new users.

b) Modify the LilyPond website and Learning Manual to point
strongly to Fresobaldi and maybe Denemo as the recommended
starting points for new users, rather than downloading just LP.

Trevor