Re: Schikkers List

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Schikkers List
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 08:10:43 +0100

2013/12/3 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
Federico Bruni writes:

> So no download on the website (it's not working, as already reported), no
> source code anywhere.
> Unfortunately we can test the demo only

Why is that unfortunate?  The demo is really all there is, currently.
What would you do with the code?

I'm not a coder, so nothing.
I was just thinking that I may test it better if I could run it on my computer. I see that the demo doesn't work always: for example, now I refreshed the page and the canvas is empty (no staff).

> It looks nice but it doesn't seem a reliable tool as online editor. For
> example, I've just lost the short example I typed few minutes ago.

It's really meant as a demo currently, not as a reliable tool.  The only
thing saved a couple of minutes before this message, was

    \relative { c' c'' e,,( f f) f g a' b,, f' d' \bar "|." }

> I'd be curious to install it on my computer.

> AFAICS, the edits can be made only in the GUI. Text input cannot be
> modified.

That's right, that's not yet possible.  My first priority is to find
a useful application for what is now this demo, code what's missing
and provide it.  This `feature request' is anticipated and it would
be nice to see how many people actually want this feature.  If you
really need it, the answer is: switch to Frescobaldi ;-)

Sure, but the thing is: why showing the text input if you cannot modify it?
It's a nice idea if the purpose of the application is teaching lilypond syntax by interacting with a GUI. Actually, it's a great idea: I would add a link in the website introduction once you feel that it's stable enough.

OTOH if you want to create a GUI application, I'd remove the text input (at least, until you implement the "two-way edit").

I have a feature request that it may make this app special: note entry using a tablature instead of a staff.
You choose the tuning and then enter numbers on each string, then the number should be turned into the right pitch.
I guess this is not easy to implement. But it may attract users of Tuxguitar, Guitarpro and similar.

> The tie button works fine, while the slur button doesn't.

Both buttons should be disabled when no slur or tie is possible.
The slur button is enabled when you make a horizontal selection.

How can I make an horizontal selection?
I think that yesterday somehow I managed to select more than a note, using Alt or Ctrl; but then slur didn't work. Today the demo is not working, so I'm stuck... Did I say that I'd like to install it on my PC? :-)