Re: Experiences with smaller staff sizes?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Experiences with smaller staff sizes?
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 00:30:49 +0100

Am 03.12.2013 00:22, schrieb Keith OHara:
Urs Liska <ul <at> openlilylib.org> writes:

When I started using LilyPond I was impressed by the default look and
feel of the scores. Rather often I felt the need to fit more music on
the page, and for a beginner the most natural (and probably only) way to
achieve this is to globally reduce the staff size. But when reduced
staff size to about 17 or even less for some kinds of scores I found the
overall impression much less impressive than before. While still being
beautifully balanced and laid out it became somewhat anemic.

I know that you know that LilyPond does not simply scale down the lines
and fonts, but uses relatively heavier weights at the smaller staff-sizes.
It sounds like you feel the effect should be stronger.

Basically yes.

And I'm noticing that I can't adjust everything to the same amount.
Say I make everything heavier, either because the "opticals" effect should be stronger or because I just _want_ that score to be heavy. Then some items, particularly articulations and a few other things like the mentioned arpeggio bracket will be out of balance because I can't simply override their #'line-thickness. I think we managed to catch the more visible things through Janek's patches, but there still are grobs that aren't perfectly consistent with the global look and feel of the score.

I use 15 to 22-point staff-heights, and find the results easily readable.

I didn't mean to say readability is affected. It's just that these scores lack that "wow" effect ;-)

Best
Urs

Miniature scores, with about a 12-point staff, from LilyPond are not as
heavy as traditionally-engraved miniature scores.  Personally, the word
'clean' comes to mind before 'anemic'  when I compare LilyPond scores
at small sizes to the lock of older "pocket scores", but I see what you
mean.