Gittip (was: Frescobaldi Project Support)

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Gittip (was: Frescobaldi Project Support)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 17:03:42 -0800 (PST)

SoundsFromSound wrote
> I wonder how the [Gittip] system works and how effective it could be for
> FLOSS development.

I have been keeping my eye on Gittip.  It's basically a tool that lets
individuals make ongoing weekly payments to other individuals (or
organizations) to support whatever work they do.  It happens that more often
than not this is volunteer work on free/open-source software.

What really makes it compelling is that Gittip does not make any money off
of the transactions that go through it.  They only charge a minimal fee to
cover their own transaction costs (credit card fees).  Gittip is itself
funded by voluntary donations made through Gittip.  The code that runs
Gittip is in the public domain and hosted on Github.

I'm not affiliated with Gittip, I'm just really interested and intrigued by
its potential.  I've often thought that it would make sense for projects
like LilyPond/Frescobaldi/etc.

More info:
https://www.gittip.com/about/
https://www.gittip.com/about/faq.html

Here's a blog post on how it was used to support a Drupal developer:
http://blog.gittip.com/post/61497419514/drupal-co-maintainer-funded-at-475-wk

-Paul