Re: Midi for instrument turns into percussion

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Midi for instrument turns into percussion
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 06:44:52 +0000 (UTC)

Ryan McClure <ryanmichaelmcclure <at> gmail.com> writes:

"The MIDI output allocates a channel for each staff, and reserves channel 10
 for drums. There are only 16 MIDI channels per device, so if the score
 contains more than 15 staves, MIDI channels will be reused. "

> I have 13 different instrument voices and 2 percussion voices in my score.
> That is, some use the same instrument, like all 7 different clarinet voices
> that I have. What should I do to prevent this problem? I've never had a
> score with this many different voices before.

I make a separate \score{} for the MIDI output, grouping like instruments
on one staff. (If I leave out \layout{} there is no need ot worry about
which is \voiceOne, ..Two, etc.)

Or, you can try something that Jan added a little while ago:
set midiChannelMapping = #'instrument.

See following "MIDI output has been improved" at
 http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/changes/