Re: Workarounds for issue 1127?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Workarounds for issue 1127?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:55:00 -0800

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:34:12 -0800, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

I leave out the Dynamics context, indicating dynamics on notes or
spacer rests in a temporary parallel sequence
{ c1\p << d2 {s4.\< s8\> <>\!} >> e2 }

\override PianoStaff.DynamicLineSpanner #'staff-padding = #2.5

I used to do this (many versions ago), but found that the dynamics never centered
exactly (i.e., didn’t line up "when they were supposed to”), and the extra
space never compressed effectively

Right. This just attaches dynamics to one staff or the other.  I just find the
result less-bad than having all dynamics on one horizontal line.

The right- and left- staves within a PianoStaff don't stretch from each other
very much to help fill the page, so setting their 'staff-padding' to each staff
at about half the gap, puts the dynamics nearly in the center, most of the
time, unless notes pry the staves apart.

I guess you can put a Dynamics between the staves anyway, and use it for the
occasional dynamic that really should be centered between staves.