Re: Finishing touches on hymn, lyrics spacing

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Finishing touches on hymn, lyrics spacing
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:59:11 -0700

On 11/19/2013 11:29 AM, Ian Barclay wrote:
(I expect this message may not appear in the thread that I started.  Sorry about that - I'm not sure how to make that happen since I signed up for the daily digest and can't seem to change it.)

Jim and Janek,
Thanks for your responses.  The script you have provided looks like just what I am looking for, but for some reason I am still getting a variety of error messages about unexpected characters when I put it in my layout block (all this does belong in the layout block, right?).

So maybe I am going about this wrong.  It seems there must be something else in my script that is getting in the way of the changes I am trying to make to the lyric font spacing.  I have no idea what it is - can you catch anything?  I'll attach the file again just for fun.

Thanks, Ian

No errors here, with 2.19.0 in Linux.

Just as a general comment, though: you could probably simplify both your code and your life with a few easy changes.
First, you should definitely put each part in a separate variable, rather than writing chords in the bass, e.g., and spacer rests in the tenor. It's much easier, and I find it more intuitive, to write the parts individually.
Next, you might want to define midiInstrument at the part level rather than the score. That gives you the option of producing practice tracks by voice. I generally use a tool like Rosegarden to pan a single track fully left and put the others fully right. I believe there is code working through the review process which will allow me to do it inside LilyPond, but that may have to wait a while.
You define staff-affinity for each verse; why not just do it once, in your layout block, where you already modify the Lyrics context?
Have you read through the Learning Manual, and the templates available in the Snippets? Ther is some pretty good stuff aimed directly at hymn settings and SATB arrangements.

I like the look of what you've got so far, though! My comments are not criticism, just ideas to help you type less, and to have fewer places to look for problems.

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.