Re: what do you use ragged-bottom for?

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: what do you use ragged-bottom for?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 19:10:28 -0800

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:38:20 -0800, Mark Stephen Mrotek <address@hidden> wrote:

My use of the ragged bottom is very particular. I use Lilypond to set piano
scores for viewing on a tablet (easy page turning!). In a set of variations,
some (if not all) of the variations might not be long enough to fill the
page, and two consecutive variations would be too much.

I would guess that this is a common use.  I assume you use scores with
\pageBreak in between
  \paper {ragged-bottom = ##t }
  n=90
  \score { \repeat unfold \n {c'4 d' e'2} } \pageBreak
  \score { \repeat unfold \n {c'4 d' e'2} }

When the variation is slightly over one page long (n=130, for example) then the
you get two half-filled pages.  The change I was considering to ragged-bottom
would squeeze a bit more on one page, but when two pages are required it would
still evenly distributes the lines.

By the way, in the other email Carl was thinking of setting scores in separate
\bookparts
   n=140
   \bookpart { \repeat unfold \n {c'4 d' e'2} }
   \bookpart { \repeat unfold \n {c'4 d' e'2} }
Each book-part starts on a new page, and the last page of each book-part is set
ragged-bottom by default.  This might look nicer to you when the book-parts are
more than one page long.  (The header is repeated at the start of each
\bookpart, by default, so you might need to figure out how to change the
title-markup settings if you use this method.)