Re: How to structure piano music?

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: How to structure piano music?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 23:24:24 +0100

Hi Urs,

thanks for your answer (from someone who has the experience with LP
piano music)!

> It's not completely clear from your example how the logical structure of
> the music is.
> Do you actually have independent voices that you just want to appear as
> chords?
> Or do you basically have chorded music that sometimes happens to split
> into different voices (actually the example looks like this).?

It's not completely clear for me, neither. It is mostly homophonic music
(chords) but it is also always exactly 3 voices, which made me think of
it that way. I wanted to avoid all the chord notation by writing each
voice seperately. But when I see the output, I think chords and
temporary splits are probably better.

> If the latter is the case you should enter it as one voice and only
> split it temporarily where necessary.
> Use the << { } \new Voice { } >> construct, then the first voice will be
> the same as the surrounding music, which is necessary to continue the
> slur in your example.

That's a good idea, it will get more difficult with slurs in different
voices starting or ending in different combinations of voices.

And it is probably unavoidable to ignore those collision errors in piano
music.

Thanks,
Joram