Re: Gmail and quotes

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Gmail and quotes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 04:00:12 -0800 (PST)

David Kastrup wrote
> Helge Kruse <

> Helge.Kruse@

> > writes:
>
>>> This interface "improvement" also effectively enforces top-posting: it
>>> takes
>>> extra effort to post replies in the middle of quotes (like a
>>> conversation)
>>> and most people don't care.
>>
>> I am in the "e-mail world" for some decades. It was always a good
>> style to write the answer on top of all other text and to not delete
>> anything that has written before.
>
> In a mailing list?  No.  Never.  Absolutely not.  Please look up any
> kind of "netiquette" you can find on the net.
>
> The _only_ situation where top-posting makes _any_ kind of sense is when
> communicating with the likes of technical support.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I had no idea this was the norm. I've always been writing on top - including
the previous messages below my reply for years now, which I now assume was a
byproduct of working as an IT consultant as a secondary job. It feels so
unnatural for me to scroll way down to the bottom of a previous message - or
a string of messages - and then write my response there; but if that is
correct etiquette outside of tech support, and for mailing lists, then I
will try my hardest to not top post anymore. Sorry in advance.

Ben

-----
composer | sound designer
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond