Re: Bar numbers position

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Bar numbers position
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:28:58 +0100

On 11/10/2013 09:40 PM, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
Hi Janek,

Janek Warchoł wrote
...i believe the barnumbers in the engraved examples interfere with
clefs.  I've seen some scores where similarly placed barnumbers looked
like clef transposition (especially when the first bar in a system was
8th or 15th, and the number was placed right above the clef...).
I believe that LilyPond's placement has the advantage of being
unambiguous.
I think you are right on this, it seems very logical. I only pointed it out
because I never saw this style of bar numbers before.
[\\]
[...] I would be very glad to hear what you [Peter] and Ms. Gould think about
it (I really need to buy this book as soon as possible!).

There's no scan this time. What she writes is this:

Place bar numbers at the beginning of each system, ideally above the clef of the top stave.

Naturally she wouldn't approve of a solution where the bar numbers could be confused with clef transposition.

Best
Peter