Re: What's the best way to fix these beams and staff spacing?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: What's the best way to fix these beams and staff spacing?
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 20:16:50 +0000 (UTC)

Michael Rivers <michaeljrivers <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Here is the 28th bar of an etude by Rachmaninoff:

> What would be the best way of fixing this output? The space between the
> staves is fine for all but this system and one other with the same problem.

Probably you know already that LilyPond usually spaces the staves first,
and then decides where the beam would best go (here, they would go above).
But if the upper-staff notes need to be voiceTwo, so the stems go down,
LilyPond runs out of options about where to fit the beam, and is not
smart enough to re-set the staff-spacing.

So we need to help LilyPond plan ahead, and reserve some space for the
beam, preferably using something local.

I have had difficulty finding a solution that works in different versions
of LilyPond.  A text markup on the last note /before/ the staff-crossings
    _\markup\pad-around #1.5 \transparent "space for beam"
works in your case.  If you put the markup on a note in the cross-staff
beam, though, LilyPond moves it out from between the staves.

If there is a Dynamics between the staves, that might be a convenient place
to put a transparent markup where we need space.