Re: modular "markup" and arguments

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: modular "markup" and arguments
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 10:07:50 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Correct.  In stack terms, \revert is a "pop" while "\override" is "pop,
> push" (each context has its own stack).  In contrast,
> "\temporary\override" is just "push".  So a sequence of

So we have, for context properties:

\set                    set prop to value
\unset                  set prop to default value
\once\set               set prop for next operation, then fall back
                        to current value

For grob properties:

\override               pop + push value for prop
\temporary\override     push value for prop
\revert                 pop value for prop
\once\override          set (push?) grob prop for next operation, then
                        fall back (pop?) to current value

Unfortunately, the relevant documentation page
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/set-versus-override
is a bit, eh, empty...

As a musical programmer (programming musician) I would really appreciate
a much simpler push/pop/clear approach, with no distinction between
context and grob properties. Even a \with would be a step forward:

  \with property = value { ... }

(not complaints, just thoughts)

-- Johan