Re: midi (and ONLY! midi) transposing

From: Bric
Subject: Re: midi (and ONLY! midi) transposing
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:47:42 -0400

On 10/23/2013 05:07 AM, Rutger Hofman wrote:
On 10/23/2013 10:55 AM, Bric wrote:

For scores with multiple instruments of various tunings, how do you tell
lilypond to to render midi  with "normalized" pitch (everything adjusted
to concert pitch, appropriately) — WITHOUT transposing the visual,
written notes.

E.g., a trumpet part is written a whole tone higher, and you want to
keep it written that way, but, at the same time, you wanna hear your
trumpet part sound in tune with its concurrent piano part.

The way things are right now, one needs to create an additional
lilypond, containing WRITTEN transposition, to get a score like that
sounding right.  Or /is/ there are way to do it with a couple of code
directives?

thanks

Doesn't \transposition do what you want?
In 2.17: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#index-_005ctransposition

That's it !!

(time to (re)read the fine manual, beginning to end)
THANKS!

Although, I must say: it's an awful choice of markup words, given the semantics at play:

"\transpose" to change written pitch

and

"\transposition" to change the audible, midi pitch

because they are noun- and verb-form variants of the same word, and the noun versus verb distinction somehow aligns with the audio versus visual distinction ... doesn't seem congruent or intiutive

(I did find the "transpose" command earlier, and realized it wasn't changing the pitch — only the written.)