Re: "LilyPond look" - Musegraph font?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: "LilyPond look" - Musegraph font?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 11:38:36 +0200

Am 20.10.2013 11:00, schrieb David Kastrup:

But SIL wouldn't allow to sell them as a standalone project either,
isn't it?
No idea, I'm just familiar with the GPL.  At any rate, they say
"Lilypond look is here", but that does not in itself imply that they
copied or converted the font programs.  IIRC, the legal situation is
such that retracing fonts in the U.S.A. is not relevant to copyright but
only to trademark and other design-related rights.

I tried to study it when I included Emmentaler to lilyglyphs.
If I'm not completely misktaken SIL allows to redistribute a font
- with or without source,
- modified or unmodified,
suggests enclosing a FONTLOG with details about original designers and modifications.

Fonts can be enclosed in commercial packages (such as a closed source engraving software) but can't be sold as a standalone product.

Urs