Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Garrett McGilvray
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:40:17 -0500

Hi Folks. I thank you all for your continued help.

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> don't put \new Lyrics _into_ the Staff.

This one line showed me the essence of my error, so I am able to work from
there. Now that I look at it, it does look like a newbie error, but I just
wasn't seeing it before.

Eluze wrote:
> I'm not sure, but I guess Garrett wants the lyrics in a sequential line

What I'm trying to deal with is the fact that the number of lines in the verses
and the number of lines in the chorus very often do not match. See for example
the attached image of where the verses and chorus meet in a particularly
well-known hymn:

image/jpg

You see that the chorus line there is not aligned with any of the verse lines,
but rather both sides are centered according to the number of lines in their
own section. I'm imagining some way to explicitly end a lyric context so that
it won't the affect the spacing of a subsequent context when on the same line.
I'm really just trying to figure out what is the best way to handle the
verse/chorus transition. I expect I am going to encounter this kind of thing
often since a lot of what I do are hymns.

My current project is just a simple arrangement of Silver Bells for a Christmas
event later this year, and I've used one of the methods suggested here (the
\set associatedVoice) and some heavy-handed forcing of lyric order. The current
solution is not too bad. I'll send my file in case any one wants to look at it
to see if you can think of a better way (but only if you want to). Please
excuse the fact that my music training is not in composition :(