Re: announcement: OpenLilyLib Snippet Repository is open!

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: announcement: OpenLilyLib Snippet Repository is open!
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:08:59 +0200

hi janek,

following wilbert's recent release of frescobaldi 2.0.11, of which the
preview debugging features interest me, i was thinking about your
repository a bit.

i already have a long-standing workflow in place -- of which
frescobaldi is not a part -- and i have accumulated a library of
interesting snippets i regularly use in a global include path (i'm
sure a lot of other people work this way as well). There are now quite
a few interesting snippets in the openlilylib snippet repository, so
my idea was to simply git clone openlilylib/snippets somewhere and add
it as a global include directory to my workflow. When new snippets
arrive, I could simply just git pull that directory and have bug-fixes
and new snippets. In theory, this is a good idea.

In practice, however, this is a bit problematical, as the examples in
the include files also compile along with the rest of the lily-file
i'm working on. The added benefit of a git-based snippet repository,
for me, is the automatic update possibility (lilyJAZZ is a good
example, if it stays in openlilylib repo). Compilable examples are
good, but make it redundant. I may as well work the same way as with
LSR: open the lily file from a link in the browser, and then copy &
paste to a local file. Defeats the purpose of SCM for me.

so basically, is there an intention at some point, to create a
_library_ version of the snippets github (i.e. leave the examples in
the files as usage documentation, but commented out so that they don't
create output)? In the LSR it makes sense to have the examples
compilable, as the images are automagically generated, but that isn't
the case with github.

if not, then ignore this mail, it is simply a random
stream-of-consciousness (some may read: brainfart ;)), i don't mind
carrying on building my personal snippet library with copy-paste. :)

regards,
sb