"Floating" markup

From: EdBeesley
Subject: "Floating" markup
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 06:34:56 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to make some easy to read exercises for the little kiddies I
teach. As you can see in the example below I've labelled which line is for
sticking and which is for counting - the only way I could figure out of
getting the markup before any notes was to add it to a spacer grace note (so
as to not affect duration) but as you can see this creates a huge gap.
Switching on strict-note-spacing solves the gap but then pushes the text
very far to the left, and all my attempts at tweaking x-offsets or
\translates haven't worked. Also ideally I'd like to vertically align the
"Sticking" text so it's centred relative to the two lyric lines.

Does anyone have a better idea for getting what I'm after? I'm feeling the
grace note markup is very hacky but I can't think of a better way!

# (set-global-staff-size 30) % yep, 30!

 count = \lyricmode {
   "1" "2" "3" "4"
  }

\score {
    <<
      \new Staff ="staff" \with {\remove Time_signature_engraver} {
    \new Voice ="one"
    {
      \clef percussion
  %    \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'strict-note-spacing = ##t
       \override NoteHead #'extra-spacing-width = #'(3 . 3)
       \grace {s64 ^\markup \right-align \italic {Count:}  _\markup
\right-align \italic {Sticking:}}
       d'4 d' d' d' d' d' d' d' }
      }
    \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "staff" } { \lyricsto "one"
{\count \count} }
    \new Lyrics {\lyricsto "one" {R L R L R L R L }}
    \new Lyrics {\lyricsto "one" { L R L R L R L R }}