cresc. whitespace padding

From: EdBeesley
Subject: cresc. whitespace padding
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 07:40:53 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to add a bit of padding to the whiteout function when used on a
\cresc. My results are best explained with code...

\version "2.16.2"

exampleone = \markup {how it looks with whiteout}
exampletwo = \markup {how I want it to look}
examplethree = \markup {trying to use scheme}

\score {
  \new GrandStaff <<
    \new Staff \relative c' {

       c ^\exampleone d e \once \override DynamicTextSpanner #'whiteout =
##t f \cresc c  d e f \!}
    \new Staff \relative c' {
      c d e f \cresc c  d e f \!}

}

\score {
  \new GrandStaff <<
    \new Staff \relative c' {

      c ^\exampletwo d e f _\markup {\normal-text \larger \whiteout
\pad-around #0.2 \italic cresc.} c  d e f \!}
    \new Staff \relative c' {
      c d e f \cresc c  d e f \!}

}

wcresc =
  #(make-music 'CrescendoEvent
             'span-direction START
             'span-type 'text

             'span-text "cresc.")

\score {
  \new GrandStaff <<
    \new Staff \relative c' {

      c ^\examplethree d e f \wcresc c  d e f \!}
    \new Staff \relative c' {
      c d e f \cresc c  d e f \!}

}

As you can see I clearly don't know how to change whiteout or padding
properties in scheme!